Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Back to the Future!


I went to a training today that was about the new iAuthor program for the iPad. It was a good training and I felt I took enough away form it that it was worth my time. The whole meeting there was discussion about the possibilities that technology creates in our classroom. So many different tools and resources at the swipe of a finger.

As our session was wrapping up a member of our district discussed the possibility (a realistic possibility actually proposed to a school this year) that they wanted to try a one-to-one program with the iPads. Teachers were on board and wanted to try it, but it came with a price. The only sacrifice they would have to make is that they would have to get rid of their copy machine and become a totally paperless school. They changed their minds quickly. PAPERLESS!? Can you even imagine an elementary classroom without paper? I can't...yet. I believe we are moving in that direction, but I don't think we will ever hear a teacher paraphrase Doc by saying, "PAPER? Where we're going, we don't need paper." The day I hear that is the day I have my new hoverboard and shoes that light up with have power laces. GREAT SCOTT!

There are many that say this is cheaper and better for the environment. I don't believe that. The way things are being priced and distributed, it looks like this is going to be more expensive. And yes, we won't be killing as many trees to make the paper, but trees are a renewable resource unlike a lot of the products used to make iPads and Mac Books. Also, I haven't researched this, but I'm sure the makers of paper don't have to install suicide prevention nets outside of their buildings to make sure people don't die as they jump off of their building. I'm not trying to take a side in this issue because I truly believe we need to integrate more technology and less paperwork/worksheet related materials. Shouldn't we be using all of this stuff together so that we can use ALL of the resources we have at our disposal?

Well, some people (High Tech Big Wigs apparently) have already been resorting back to the traditional way of teaching their children by enrolling them in private schools that refuse to have technology in any of their classrooms. It seems like the world is always in this momentum shift of doing new things and then going back to old school styles of thinking. I see it in the way people shop for food. They are trying to do more organic gardening and shopping. I've also seen it in the way people workout. No more big machines, but it's back to the basics of lifting heavy tires and doing pull-ups. Isn't it interesting that Back to the Future used the same model when they went back in time, then into the future, then back in time again. Seems to be a formula for awesome (I love those movies). I wouldn't be surprised if I see this kind of teaching philosophy change 4 more times while I'm in the teaching profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment