Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Adventures of Pete and Pete...revisited


Recently, my favorite childhood show had a little cast reunion in New York. I was able to watch it on youtube and I was very pleased to hear some of the stuff that went on behind the scenes. The show only lasted three seasons, but it dramatically changed my life; I hope for the better. While watching the cast reunion a few of their comments really stuck with me. I'd like to share some thoughts...now.

When the show was on television the writers and producers were continually being asked by people why two brothers had the same name, where did the younger Pete get his tattoo, and where did Artie the Strongest Man in the World come from. Out of all of the times that question was asked, they reported that the only ones asking those types of questions were grown-ups. The kids who watched the show didn't care, they just enjoyed what was put in front of them and enjoyed being in a world that was made for them.

This really made me start thinking about my students and every young student in the U.S. today. The thing that I enjoyed while going to school isn't being taught in the schools now because we don't have enough time for that anymore. We are throwing history by the wayside because kids need to be practicing for end of level tests. These tests are important because they determine their value as a student and my value as a teacher. I don't ever recall being stressed about taking a standardized test while in school. I don't recall my teachers making a big deal out of it either. So why have we suddenly relied on tests as the measuring stick of success in this country?

Here's where Pete and Pete wrap back into this rant. Kids need to be kids. I've heard it before and I've said it before, but I even catch myself playing the role of Captain Hook when it comes to my own classroom. This isn't because I want to, but it's because I feel I need to so I fit in with the rest of the school and faculty.

Pete and Pete was an original show because the creators did a show that they wanted to do. It almost wasn't made because early reviews were bad, but they made it anyway and people ended up liking it. They tried something new, even though data showed that it was not going to do well. Whether it was successful or not didn't matter to the creators because they made a show that they enjoyed putting together and they believed in the final product. I don't feel that way about my classroom. I don't like my final product. I enjoy my students and some of the things that we do in there, but it's not MY classroom. Slowly, I'm trying to figure out a way to make it my own and not a classroom put together by data and administrators. This is tough seeing as how these administrators determine if I have a job or not.

This whole post has kind of just rambled on, but seeing as how I might be the only one reading it then I don't care. The point is I want to be a better teacher. The only way I can do that is by teaching in a style that correlates with the type of person I am. Right now that is not happening because I am somewhat forced to follow the crowd. I want to step outside the box and try some new things, but I know that is looked down upon in a system where we want everyone to test to the same number. I have a problem with being average and having my kids be average. If we're supposed to celebrate individuality, then why not do that on an educational level as well. I don't mean differentiated instruction, I mean allowing kids to struggle and fail in areas that they don't like or understand. I don't like sour cream, but do I have to eat it to be normal? I'm not good at art, but do I have to perfect it if I'm going into a mathematical field? I wish I could write down what my mind is thinking, but I can't for some reason. Enjoy this clip that expounds on some of my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment