Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!

So the past couple of weeks have been disappointing. After my grand adventure into the valley of salty lakes, I haven't heard a lot from my potential employers. To date, I have sent out over 25 e-mails and applied for over 50 jobs, including positions over in the Alpine School District. This district was enclosed in a glass case in my life that had written on the front "break open and apply only in case of an emergency." Well, with the state of the economy, I felt desperate times call for desperate measures.

Out of all of the schools I have been in contact with, only one school in the Granite District called back to set up an interview. I went in confident, with my head held high, and then I saw a friend coming out of the school as I was going in. This friend just so happened to be teaching at the school and in the very same grade I was offered a job in last year. We had a few minutes to converse and after those few minutes, all confidence I had going into the interview dissipated.

We both talked about wanting to move to Salt Lake and proceeded to talk about the many interviews we have had in the area. Correction, she proceeded to talk about the many interviews she HAD had and the many more she had lined up. This just so happened to be my first interview outside of Cache Valley. I was devastated at the news and felt like maybe my resume wasn't strong enough, which meant that the possibility of getting a job was very slim. I walked into the interview and I crashed...HARD! Needless to say, I got an e-mail (that's right, an E-MAIL!) telling me they interviewed a large number of people and weren't able to offer me a job. So goes that perfect record of interviewing and successfully obtaining a job.


I feel like I'm still standing at this fork in the road and I want to go down the path least trodden, but Gandalf the Grey is there yelling at me with all his might saying, "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!" Why? Why can't I pass? Well, I'll continue to send out e-mails, and I'm sure I'll continue to receive replies which look like this.

***Actual email, Names have been changed for fun***

Dear (Saint Gregorio),

Thank you for taking the time to interview with me at (Hades Playground). I wish that I had more positions to offer. I had so many great people to choose from and you were definitely among them. Keep watching the postings as more positions will be coming open. Good luck in your future years of teaching and making a difference in the lives of children.

Sincerely,

(Lucifer)

Better Luck next time I suppose.

Here's a video which describes my thoughts about finding a teaching job. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment