Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

IT HAS BEGUN!!!



So this clip is brought to you by one of my favorite childhood games/movies...Mortal Kombat. Watching a few clips from it now makes me laugh that my taste in movies and other such arts has changed so dramatically. Why do I show this clip? Because I've developed this nasty habit of quoting things from my childhood ALL OF OF THE TIME. I'm pretty sure 78% of my conversations consist of a quote from one of three shows: The Office, The Simpsons, and Seinfeld. The above quote has reared it's ugly head more than several hundred times in my life, the latest being used one week ago.

I had the opportunity to meet my class of 22 4th graders a week ago during a school tradition called "up day." This is where the students in the school get to meet the new teacher they will have for the upcoming year. I walked into my bare classroom 2 minutes before my future 4th graders and sat down in my rolling teacher chair. Just like the above clip, I felt the elements gather in a way I've never felt before. Instead of demonesque spirits floating in the misty air, I saw the first few faces of my future students peek their heads into my classroom. That is when I realized..."It has begun!"

Let me tell you what I mean by "it." Going to bed at a decent time has begun. Waking up at a decent time has begun. Having grownup conversations has begun. Being accountable for my actions has begun. Being a face in the community has begun. Being responsible for others has begun. Being entrusted with the safety, care, and education of 22 nine year old kids...has begun.

It hit me so hard that I was at a loss for words with my students. I told them how excited I was to have them in my class and how much fun we will have during the next school year. The whole time I was mumbling over my words and just having a hard time collecting my thoughts. I actually told them that I was going to give them a homework EXCITMENT for the summer, because during this particular 10 minutes I couldn't move my tongue to say the word ASSIGNMENT. I tried to cover for myself the best I could by saying, "I don't call them homework assignments. Assignment sounds boring. My homework is fun, so I call it homework excitements. (One of the students actually went to her teacher and said, "In Mr. Cox's class we don't have homework assignments, we have homework excitements!" I think I got away with one there.)

I honestly have the best group of kids. Every single one of them has such an awesome personality and I can't wait to learn and grow with them. I've been given every luxury a new teacher could ask for and will be working with a great 4th grade teaching team. I think the only thing that is scary is the fact that I can never go back to college life. I still have over two months to get that out of my system, so I think I will be ready come August. The sound of that first school bell on August 18th at 7:55 A.M. won't only signify the end of summer and the beginning of a new school year, but also the death of "College Greg" and the birth of "Adult Greg." Here's to you College Greg...it's been a fun ride.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that clip freaked out my cat even more than it did me. :)

    I love homework "excitements." How funny is that! I don't think I'd get away with that one... in fact... my car would probably get keyed an extra time for that one.

    That is amazing that you had the chance to meet your class. That is the greatest idea. I've never heard of an elementary school doing that. I love it, though.

    I think I better get up to Logan to play before you become "Adult Greg." :)

    ReplyDelete