Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am the captain of my... classroom



Although the movie may not have done so well, I enjoyed it. I had just finished Nelson Mandela's biography "Long Walk to Freedom" before the movie had come out. It may or may not have taken over 3 years to accomplish this task, but after a countless number of reading hours while watching a gajiliion Bill Nye videos during my days of substitute teaching, I had finished the deed. (I should teach myself about run-on sentences)

As I reflect upon the life of Nelson Mandela and after downloading the TED Talks App for my iPad (Such an awesome toy) I've come to a conclusion. I need to be passionate about something. I want to make an impact on education as a whole, and I don't believe being JUST a teacher will help me accomplish that. I've had a HUGE wake-up call the last couple of days and I've been thinking a little too much perhaps.

I once believed my passion was to be the best teacher in the world. After the first full month of teaching, I've come to the realization that this just won't do, or probably happen. In a way I hope that it never happens. I feel that goal has been very selfish and helps no one but myself. I believe everyone who's ever accomplished, or who hopes to accomplish something that changes the world, has done so selflessly. They think of the greater good and then sacrifice their time, talents, and a countless number of both tangibles and intangibles for that cause. Such is the case with Nelson Mandela.

So now what? That's the question I've been asking myself for the last little while. Everything I've done for the last 4 years was done so I could accomplish this one goal. Now that I've reconsidered my hopes and aspirations, what do I do now?

Firstly, I need to figure out my number one priority. Even if I did know what is was, I'm apt to not say. I've recently heard (here)that if we say our goals out loud, it becomes less likely that we accomplish them. So I guess mum is the word on this one.

I still aspire to be the best possible teacher I can be. I've always had that drive to better myself. I guess the only difference is that I'm not going to compete for that title of "World's Best Teacher." Even if it does come with an inscribed coffee mug and bedazzled t-shirt that had such a saying emblazoned upon it. Being on the inside of education has opened my eyes to how we can better run the system, but especially better treat and educate the youth of tomorrow's world. Bring on the LEARNING REVOLUTION!!!

1 comment:

  1. You know... in a way I kind of miss the Bill Nye-reading days. :) Books were much easier to finish back then.

    I like your thoughts about this. I am a little worried that you may regret losing the bedazzled shirt, though...

    ReplyDelete