Search This Blog

Friday, May 7, 2010

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood..."

It's been over a week now since i had my first REAL interview with a school district. I interviewed with Logan City School District...again. I had interviewed there last year and was offered a job teaching 5th grade at my old alma mater. I would be teaching right next to my old 5th grade teacher that I had when I went to school there. It was honestly a dream job and I should've taken it, but as you can tell from the "should've" in this sentence, I actually ended up passing on it. Instead I chose to continue in my thrilling career of chemical and sanitary engineering. In other words, continue being a janitor at the local high school. I've been substitute teaching during the day and cleaning during the night for the last year. I don't regret declining the job offer. This year has been a blast and I've been able to accomplish a lot of things (like paying off all of my debt).

Well, LCSD decided to give me another shot at the whole interview process. I realize what a privilege it was to be given a second chance to interview with them. They are a highly sought after district that receive hundreds of teaching applications every year and only end up interviewing about 20 or so candidates. I'm sure after I declined the job last year, it probably didn't sit too well with a lot of the administrators. In fact, I was told that I had "shot myself in the foot" by not accepting the job and that the odds of getting a job with them in the future was highly unlikely.

I walked into the interview a little more nervous than the previous year because I knew I was walking on egg shells, not to mention the fact that all 6 principals from all of the district's elementary schools were interviewing me at the same time in a cramped room. Each principal asked me a question and I answered the best I could. The questions were very reminiscent of the Dwight/Andy interview on The Office. How are you supposed to answer a question like this..."If we were to take a picture or your classroom at the end of the year, what would we see in that picture?" I'm pretty sure I bombed that question, but I gave it a valiant effort and felt satisfied with the interview as a whole.

I walked out of the building with my head held high, knowing I gave it my best shot. The only thing I was unsure of was if I would accept a job if they offered me one again. If I rejected their offer again, that would all but sever any ties I would have with the district in the future. Deny them once, well, i think George W. put it best. Anyway, I've been dealing with an internal struggle as to which path I shall take in life. In essence, do I take the road less traveled?

No comments:

Post a Comment